Assets Used in the Journeys
The Imperial Royal Yatch `Standart`
Elegant style yachts were once the norm among many of the world’s most important rulers. But few of these highly specialized ships can compare with the Standart, reserved exclusively for the use of Tsar Nicholas II of Russia.
This handsome ship was a graceful seagoing vessel and was built to the Tsar’s own specifications, she was constructed in Copenhagen in 1895.
The Standart was a superb, black-hulled 5557-ton yacht measuring 401 feet in length and 50 feet wide, making it the largest private ship in the world and reaching speeds of up to 40 km/h. She combined elegance and comfort and met all the requirements of a floating palace. A large bowsprit, covered with gold leaf, hung forward from her bow and three tall masts towered above her two white funnels. Also on the main deck was a huge dining saloon that could seat up to seventy-two guests at one long table for luncheon or dinner. The Imperial Yacht even had its own chapel for the private use of the Imperial Family.
1914 Rolls Royce Ghost Kegresse conversion
This is an Alpine Eagle conversion designed for Russian winter roads for nobility and equipped with the ‘Kregresse drive’ a hang-on device converting any car to a halftrack ‘Kegresse audosledge’.
The name comes from the system’s inventor Adolphe Kégresse, who designed the invention while working for Tsar Nicholas II of Russia between 1906 and 1916. He applied it to several cars in the Royal garage including Rolls-Royce cars and packard trucks.
The car still exists and is kept in one of the still-numerous Lenin museums. The RR Silver Ghost was a very popular vehicle amid the motorized Russian nobility, being a well built and tough chariot, quite capable of withstanding awful running conditions in winter.
A Kégresse track is a rubber or canvas continuous track which uses a flexible belt rather than interlocking metal segments, and the propulsion and suspension system incorporates an articulated bogie, fitted to the rear of the vehicle with a large drive wheel at one end.
The Imperial Royal Train
The Emperor appears in pictures with his wife, Empress Alexandra, and members of the Royal Family. The train was built originally in 1894 and by 1902 it consisted of 10 cars, with space enough for the staff. Nicholas II’s reign ended with the Bolshevik Revolution in 1917.
HMS Iron Duke
HMS Iron Duke was a Dreadnought Battleship of the Royal Navy, the lead ship of her class and was commissioned into the Home Fleet in March 1914 as the Fleet Flagship. She was armed with a main battery of ten 340 mm guns and was capable of a top speed of 39.36 km/h. Iron Duke served as the Flagship of the Grand Fleet during the First World War, including at the Battle of Jutland. In January 1917, she was relieved as Fleet Flagship in favour of HMS Queen Elizabeth. She participated in both the Allied intervention in the Russian Civil War in the Black Sea and was broken up for scrap in the late 1940s.
Germany created the ultimate World War I U-boat which was a true long-range submarine cruiser. Boats of this class were 213 feet long, about 1500 tons with a speed of 23 km/h on the surface, and a range of 46,000 km at a speed of 10 km/h. Armament was twin 150 mm deck guns, eighteen torpedoes, and manned by a crew of 56 with room for twenty more One of the first of the Deutschland class was built as a blockade-breaking civilian cargo submarine operated by the North German Lloyd Line. She had a cargo capacity of 700 tons. She engaged in high-value trans-Atlantic commerce before being taken over by the German Imperial Navy where she started her war service on 27th. July 1917. and finished on 11th. November 1918 after sinking 37 ships.
Her most successful mission was a long range cruise to the Eastern American seaboard where she had considerable success after leaving Kiel on 14th. April 1918. On one day she sank 6 American ships in the space of a few hours.
One of her tasks on that journey was to lay mines and cut telegraph cables on the seabed. U-151 returned to Kiel on 20 July 1918 after a 94-day cruise in which she had covered a distance of 20,215 km. Her commander reported that she had sunk 23 ships totalling 61,000 tons and had laid mines responsible for the sinking of another four vessels.
At the end of the war U-151 surrendered to France at Cherbourg. The French Navy sank her as a target on 7 June 1921.
Blackburn Type l Sea Plane
After failures with monoplanes construction, there was a move to biplanes. The Type L, 2 seater seaplane was built specifically as a candidate for the Circuit of Britain Race sponsored by the Daily Mail with a £5,000 winner’s prize. Assembled at Blackburn’s Olympia Works in Leeds. The Circuit of Britain race was due to start on 14 August 1914. When the First World War was declared on 4 August. All the aircraft were impounded by the Admiralty. During this time, some modifications were made to it, aimed at cooling and control problems: At some point, it carried a 8mm machine gun.
Full-scale replica of Sikorsky S-22 Ilya Muromets in Monino Air Force Museum. This is a replica of the worlds first four engine bomber. It was originally designed as a luxury airliner and the series was named ‘Ilya Muromets’ after a hero from Russian Mythology. 73 aircraft of this type saw military service between 1913 and 1918. It was also the first type to carry out bomber raids, night bombing, and photo bomb damage assessment.
Daimler DB 18
The Daimler was the last production car just before WW2 and introduced in 1939. Powered by a smooth 2522cc OHV straight-six engine allied to a four-speed pre-selector transmission was capable of 76mph and 22mpg. Built to a standard that befitted the holders of a Royal warrant, by Mulliner. Recommencing after WWII, DB18 production continued until the early fifties after some 2,500 examples are thought to have been sold.